Business Law Question
Learning Goal: I’m working on a business law multi-part question and need an explanation and answer to help me learn.
(BUSINESS LAW) Answer the discussion question (1/2 page) and write a paper (4 pages) SEPARATELY!
Discussion Question –
Gina Gomez, a devout Roman Catholic, worked for Sam’s Department Stores, Inc., in Phoenix, Arizona. Sam’s considered Gomez a productive employee because her sales exceeded $200,000 per year. At the time, the store gave its managers the discretion to grant unpaid leave to employees but prohibited vacations or leave during the holiday season—October through December. Gomez felt that she had a ‘calling’ to go on a pilgrimage in October to a location in Bosnia where some people claimed to have had visions of the Virgin Mary. The Catholic Church had not designated the site an official pilgrimage site, the visions were not expected to be stronger in October, and tours were available at other times. The store managers denied Gomez’s request for leave, but she had a nonrefundable ticket and left anyway. Sam terminated her employment, and she could not find another job.
- (Answer–>) Can Gomez establish a prima facie case of religious discrimination? Explain.
Write a four- to six-page paper address the following:
- Describe and discuss the differences between an “employee” and an “independent contractor.”
- Examine the labor laws that frame such categories. Illustrate how one can distinguish the two, and give real examples from your experience.
- Describe the type of work performed.
- If you experienced both, which position do you prefer, employee or independent contractor?
- Explain why, and what are the advantages and disadvantages you experienced.
- If you do not have the experience, provide examples from the literature. Use the literature to highlight such differences.
- Make sure you have at least six (6) peer-reviewed sources, one of which includes the U.S. Department of Labor website.
- Do these in order:
- – DQ (1/2 page content) ; paper (4 pages content)
- – write DQ & paper separately.
- ● In correct APA format, write the citation.
- – please submit the paper on time and make sure NO PLAGIARISM!!!