5.3 Discussion: Outsourcing Rebuttal
Ethical and Legal Aspects of Management
We are going to continue our online debate that began in Workshop Four. In this workshop, you will choose two classmates’ posts that addressed the opposite position of yours and rebut their argument. Read Workshop Five- Discussion 5.3 (First Rebuttal) below for more information on Round Two.
Upon successful completion of this discussion, you will be able to:
- Utilize negotiation techniques.
- Appraise situations containing ethical and legal compliance issues.
- Synthesize the interrelatedness of biblical principles and the ethical and legal fabrics in American society.
- Examine the usefulness of specific ethical frameworks to decision making.
- Textbook: Meeting the Ethical Challenge of Leadership
- File: White’s Biblical Principles
- Article: Fiduciary Duty and Social Responsibility
- Video: Onshoring vs. Offshoring (Outsourcing Domestically vs. Abroad): One Minute Explanation/Comparison
- Article: Janitor Uprising highlights tensions over outsourcing
You were assigned to a specific position in the debate during Workshop Four.
- A-M Affirmative Position
- N-Z Negative Position
The debate format is as follows.
Workshop Four – Discussion 4.3 (Initial Argument)
Post One – After you have constructed your first argument, you will post that argument in the forum and thread. Make sure your subject heading starts with either: AFFIRMATIVE POSITION or NEGATIVE POSITION, depending on the side you have been assigned. The post should be at least 500 words with two scholarly sources, and one biblical reference cited properly in APA format. *
Workshop Five – Discussion 5.3 (First Rebuttal)
Post Two – In Workshop Five, you must rebut at least two arguments that take an opposite view to yours. (So, if you argued in the affirmative, you must rebut two negative positions). Your rebuttal must be founded in at least one reference in the course literature or other literature you wish to introduce to support your position.
Workshop Six – Discussion 6.2 (Final Rebuttal)
Post Three – In Workshop Six, if your initial posting was rebutted by a member of the opposition, then you must go in and defend your position and negate his/her rebuttal. If, for some reason, your initial statement was not responded to, respond to help defend or bolster a fellow student’s original positions.
- Review the rubric to make sure you understand the criteria for earning your grade.
- Review White’s Biblical Principles from Workshop Three.
- You posted your stance on outsourcing within Inotech in Workshop Four.; in this workshop, you will choose two classmates’ arguments that took an opposite view as yours, see Discussion 4.3.
- Copy and paste your classmates’ original posts into your thread before composing your rebuttals under them. Label your posts “Your name rebuttal to Student’s name”. Example: Sara Smith’s rebuttal to John Doe.
- Each rebuttal shall be separate and address the following:
- Compare and contrast your view and your classmates’ viewpoints regarding the outsourcing of janitorial services.
- Analyze your classmates’ uses of the ethical framework and discuss why they errored in their outcome.
- Explain by using an ethical theory from Chapter 5 in your textbook to show how your classmates’ views are not ethical.
- Present new evidence to support your original stance in an effort to change the position of the classmate you are responding to.
- How does your ethical stance on outsourcing demonstrate White’s biblical principles (i.e., just weight, total honesty, being a servant, personal responsibility, and reasonable profits)?
- The rebuttal must be presented without personal attack or malice and in a courteous manner.
- Each rebuttal post needs to be composed with a minimum of 300 words.
- Your responses are due by the end of the workshop.
Note: Be prepared in Workshop Six to compose a final rebuttal response post to a classmate that responded to your post in Workshop Five.