Health & Medical Question
Learning Goal: I’m working on a health & medical discussion question and need support to help me learn.
Assignment: SMART Goals
Performance evaluations are not the only way to achieve employee and organizational development (Lussier & Hendon, 2018). A more proactive way of improving performance is to identify and work toward specific goals. One of the most popular methods of targeting goals is the SMART method, a mnemonic for the elements of effective goal setting. This method mandates the identification of goals that are specific, measurable, achievable, realistic, and time bound (Stahl, 2018).
In this Assignment, you will select a job position within a healthcare institution. You will develop SMART goals for the job position of your choice. You also will describe strategies for professional development for your selected job position.
Lussier, R. N. & Hendon, J. R. (2018). Human resource management: Functions, applications, and skill development. (3rd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
Stahl, A. (2018, October 15). Here’s how to achieve your goals. Forbes. Retrieved from https://www.forbes.com/sites/ashleystahl/2018/10/1… – 2ce1f86e37c8
To prepare for this Assignment:
- Review the Learning Resources on SMART Goals. Focus on how SMART Goals are effective in a diverse array of goal-setting situations.
- Review the job descriptions you identified for the Week 2 Discussion or Assignment, or you may find a different job description published on the website of one of your local healthcare organizations or posted on Indeed.com or Monster.com. Select a position you believe might enhance patient care and quality and increase organizational productivity.
To complete this Assignment:
Create a 1-page handout HR could share with employees that addresses the following:
- Part 1: Tips for Writing SMART Goals
- Define SMART goals in your own words.
- Explain why it is important to write goals in the SMART format.
- Recommend strategies for writing SMART goals. Make sure to address each required characteristic of SMART goals
Write a 1-page paper in which you address the following:
- Part 2: Writing SMART Goals
- Identify and describe the healthcare job you selected.
- Explain the reasons why you chose this healthcare job.
- Develop one performance goal relating to enhancing patient quality of care for this healthcare job using the SMART framework. Explain how attaining this goal would enhance patient quality of care.
- Develop one performance goal relating to improving organizational productivity for this healthcare job using the SMART framework. Explain how attaining this goal would enhance organizational productivity.
Support your work with specific citations from this week’s Learning Resources and additional scholarly sources as appropriate.