|Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Ministry of Education
Saudi Electronic University
|المملكة العربية السعودية
الجامعة السعودية الإلكترونية
College of Administrative and Financial Sciences
Communication Management (MGT 421)
Due Date: 6/8/2022 @ 23:59
|Course Name: Communication Management||Student’s Name:|
|Course Code: MGT421||Student’s ID Number:|
|Semester: Summer Semester||CRN:|
For Instructor’s Use only
|Instructor’s Name: Sulaiman Albawardi|
|Students’ Grade: /15||Level of Marks: High/Middle/Low|
General Instructions – PLEASE READ THEM CAREFULLY
- The Assignment must be submitted on Blackboard (WORD format only) via allocated folder.
- Assignments submitted through email will not be accepted.
- Students are advised to make their work clear and well presented, marks may be reduced for poor presentation. This includes filling your information on the cover page.
- Students must mention question number clearly in their answer.
- Late submission will NOT be accepted.
- Avoid plagiarism, the work should be in your own words, copying from students or other resources without proper referencing will result in ZERO marks. No exceptions.
- All answered must be typed using Times New Roman (size 12, double-spaced) No pictures containing text will be accepted and will be considered plagiarism).
- Submissions without this cover page will NOT be accepted.
- Communicate better, knowing that good communicators make better managers and that communication is a dynamic process basic to individuals and organizational life.
- Perform all communication abilities, including thinking, writing, speaking, listening, and assessing the technology.
- Analyze effective business letters, memorandums, and case studies.
Part1: Writing Exercise
- In the role of a senior decision-maker in your business, write an announcement for your employees on one of the following subjects: (5 Marks)
- On-site smoking
- Changes in working hours
- Or early retirement.
- Write a bad-news message to your customer informing him/her that their claim was rejected. (2.5 Marks)
- Consider firing one of your employees. What communication channel would you choose to inform him/her about your decision and why? (2.5 Marks)
Part 2: Critical Thinking
Here is a portion of an online forum about a company’s performance review system:
(1) Jackson: Our current performance review system really isn’t working well. Can you all share your major concerns with the current annual system and share what you view as the benefits of a quarterly review system?
(2) Cynthia: It really doesn’t matter what we think about the review system. Management won’t listen to us anyway.
(3) Erin: Do any of you know when the next team meeting is? I have it on my calendar for next Monday but that’s Labor Day. Pretty sure that’s not right.
(4) Nigel: Whether our reviews are annual, quarterly, daily, or hourly, we never get evaluated fairly, especially in our department. Wayne has his favorites.
(5) Vilma: I don’t think we should change anything. I think our human resource team is all knowing and has created a perfect system. I’m motivated to improve my behavior every single time I get my annual review back. It’s always the happiest day of the year! Of course, if we had a quarterly system, we could have four happy days per year. Food for thought.
Read the sample forum and answer the following questions:
- What is the primary problem with section 2 of the forum? (1 Mark)
- What is the primary problem with section 3 of the forum? (1 Mark)
- What is the primary problem with section 4 of the forum? (1 Mark)
- What is the primary problem with section 5 of the forum? (1 Mark)
- How to turn this forum into an effective one? (1 Mark)